Our History

Bridgend Athletic RFC

(Reformed 1972)

Following a Bridgend Youth Tour in March 1972, team spirit was so high that so as not to go their separate ways into senior rugby; the idea arose to form their own senior club.

A Bridgend Athletic side had existed up until 1939 and now the reformation process was to begin.

The legendary Dr Jack Matthews officially opened the clubhouse in September 1982. This was a nostalgic event for Dr Matthews as the building was his family home during the time he was a record breaking athlete atBridgend Grammar school. This before he joined Cardiff to become one of the most famous of Welsh Internationals and British Lions of all time.

In 1983/84 the club was admitted to full membership of the Welsh RugbyUnion.

A mini/junior section was started in 1991 and has developed over the years into a thriving and successful section of the club. These days over 250 youngsters regularly play on a Sunday morning, proudly wearing the green and gold of the Athletic. The standard of mini/junior rugby at the Athletic is recognised throughout Wales and the British Isles and is reflected in the number of tournaments invited to and subsequently won.