08 January 2019 / Club News

Bridgend Athletic RFC Mini & Junior Round Up – Sunday Jan 6th, 2019

With the inclement December weather and Christmas and New Year holidays it was good for many Athletic Mini & Juniors to get back on the rugby field, with many sides inactive for 6-7 weeks.


Bridgend Athletic Under 7s hosted Beddau at Newbridge Fields with the Ath having a squad of 19 players they were able to field 3 teams. Some fantastic rugby displayed by both the Ath & Beddau. In the true spirit of minis rugby, no scores were kept, was great to see the youngest players representing Bridgend Athletic showing such commitment and effort.  Shout out to Callum Brown, Zavier Gardener, Osian Phillips and Charlie Tune once again leading the way in attack with George Evans, Gerorge Cowan and Tyler Pascoe showing great determination in defence.


On Sunday, Bridgend Ath’ U8’s played host to Beddau RFC. It was the second time for the sides to meet, having played each other earlier on in the season at Beddau.

Both sides turned up boasting strong squad numbers and as a result were each able to field two teams.


Match cancellations prior to Christmas, due to poor weather conditions and then a couple of weeks off over the holiday period unfortunately showed in the Ath’s performances. The boys looked rusty and lacked their usual sharpness in both attack and defence. Beddau were able to capitalise on this and proved the stronger side on the day.

In total 4 matches were played with the visitors getting the best of the home side on this occasion. The Ath’ won 1 and lost 3.


With the “Christmas cobwebs” now well and truly blown away, the Ath’ will be determined to get back to their brilliant best next week when they take on their close rivals from Bridgend Sports


Bridgend Athletic Under 9s welcomed Beddau to Newbridge Fields and were expecting a tough game after they drew 35-35 earlier in the season. Was good to see a squad of 22 players turn up for the first game of 2019. The Ath turned up raring to go with everyone wanting to get their hands on the ball and attack the opposition. Ethan Davies and Dylan Jones were excellent and stood out in both attack & defence. Bridgend Athletic players still need to work on their defence as a team but thoroughly deserved the 70-40 win!


The U13’s started back after Christmas with a home game against Tonyrefail, with our first game ever played on the Coity 4G pitch.


In dry conditions the team were a bit lethargic from the kick off and let Tonyrefail get close to the try line with some hard carrying and a soft penalty. However, great line-out defence from Iwan Sadd ripping the ball, showing strength and a burst of speed with a strong carry to within touching distance of the half way line. It was finished with a lovely offload setting the backs free, who showing good hands put Rhys Hockings away out wide with still a lot to do, but a trademark weaving run got Rhys under the post. Try converted by Charlie Rees 7-0.


Tonyrefail soon got back into the match with some carries through their big packs of forwards and it wasn’t a surprise when they crossed from a driving line-out with the resultant conversion missed. 7-5.


From the restart there was a great turnover by Rhydian Greenhall in the middle of the pitch and with a strong charge and good hands out wide, the ball was soon in the hands of Rhys Hockings, this time putting Dan Honeyfield in at the corner. Try converted by Charlie Rees 14-5.  It then turned into a tight game with lots of turnovers from each side and no real pattern, maybe the 7 weeks off without a game was affecting the Ath.  After a few penalty infringements by Tonyrefail Charlie Rees kicked into the corner and the forwards ran a training ground move with Rhydian Greenhall coming round the corner, before Dan Honeyfield crashed over from close to the line to bag his second of the match. Again, conversion kicked by Charlie Rees and the Ath were leading 21-5 at half time.


It was a back and forth start to the 2nd half with the Ath clearly on top but not showing the precision or poise we know they can. It was a Tonyrefail kick out of defence that led to the next score with a clean catch by Joel Rodgers close to the touch line, who then showed good feet and pace to run into the corner before running around under the posts to make the conversion easier. Fourth conversion kicked by Charles Rees with the score now 28-5.


This was the time the Ath really started to go off the boil and Tonyrefail resorted to carrying most of their ball through the forwards and after a quick tap and go by the scrum half close to the line Tonyrefail scored their second try of the game. This try being converted meant with plenty of time left the score was 28-12.  The Ath just couldn’t get their game going with quick ball being disrupted by the numerous turnovers and penalties given against both sides. With limited time remaining the Ath really did take their foot off the pedal with some silly mistakes on the floor, which allowed another quick tap and go penalty by the opposition scrum half and it allowed Tonyrefail to crash over the line with one of their forwards.  There was no time after the successful conversion for the restart, so the Ath ran out 28-19 against an improving Tonyrefail side. The team know they will have to play much better next week as they welcome Kenfig Hill to the Coity pitch.


The Under 15's were away to Cwmavon in their Ospreys Cup Quarter final game today and with so many injuries and players unavailable it was always going to be a tough one.


the Ath started strongly with some great forward momentum but failing to capitalise and losing ball in key areas.  Once the nerves settled the players started creating more opportunities resulting in the Ath scoring first through Jacob Perkins. It didn't take long for Cwmavon to strike back with a try out wide against the run of play. The Ath now started to play with some passion and a quick off the top ball from a lineout saw Evan Beach go through a gap to add to the Athletic score. With the forwards now taking control the Ath squandered some try scoring opportunities but eventually Ethan Scourfield fending off defenders to get the Ath's third try.


The second half saw Cwmavon come out fighting and a good cross field kick was gathered by the wing who went over in the corner for Cwmavon's second try. With the Ath gaining control again they scored a well worked try and the whole pack involved with a driving maul from a lineout and Jacob Perkins getting his second try. After the restart the Cwmavon forwards were penalised and Evan Beach stepping up to add another 3 points from a good distance out. Credit to Cwmavon they never give up the fight and battled away to the end with the final score Cwmavon 12 - Bridgend Athletic 27.


Bridgend Ath 16’s welcomed Bryncoch to Newbridge Fields for what is always a keenly fought battle.


The Ath started the game at a frenetic pace resulting in an early try by Tom Florence following a quick pass from Michael Gillette.

A short while later Florence was again at it- a great break and chip over the top of the defence from prop Big John saw him re-gather and feed Florence who then chipped over the full back to win the race for a touchdown wide out- both tries converted by Euan Rees.


The Ath continued at a great pace resulting in further tries from skipper Ryan Neagle forcing his way over after scrum half Thom Lewis was held up agonisingly short and then a fantastic individual length of the field try by Tom Florence, completing his hat trick before half time.Ryan Neagle completes his double also in the first half.

A fantastic bout of handling from forwards and backs saw Big John give a scoring pass to Fynn Mordecai who outstripped the defence to score in the corner for the try of the match.

Half time saw the score at 38-0 with the Ath deciding to forgo conversions.


The second half saw Bryncoch rally and start to exert some pressure of their own resulting in 2 quick tries. They continued to make a great fight of it however the Ath again bounced back with tries from Florence, Harry Cawley smashing his way through 3 defenders and then scrum half Callum Reed catching the defence unaware for a great try down the blind side of a ruck.


All in all a fantastic effort from all players to get such a big win against a very good team. 9 tries scored with 4 converted by Euan Rees (other conversions were declined!)

Final Score Ath 53 Bryncoch 15






There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments