25 November 2019 / Club News

Bridgend Athletic RFC Mini & Junior Round Up – Nov 24th

Despite the mud all 11 Ath U7-U16 teams were in action on Sunday Nov 24th. Credit to all players and guardians of all Ath and opposition teams for their commitment.

U7. Due to conditions the Under 7’s fixture was switched from Baglan to Newbridge Fields. Baglan were able to fields 2 sides, so the boys were able to experience competitive rugby over 2 games.

The boys played excellent running rugby and exploited the gaps brilliantly, being rewarded with well worked trIes. Defence was also very good and the Ath's never give up attitude was evident throughout.

U8. Bridgend Athletic U8s hosted Baglan at Newbridge Fields on Sunday 24th Nov. Baglan arrived with only 6 players compared to the Ath’s 17. No scores were kept however the Ath were superior in all departments, with Riley Thomas, Charlie Tune, Callum Brown & Osian Phillips causing the opposition problems in attack and defence. Great passing & teamwork shown by the Ath players especially Matthew Willcox. Next up for the Ath U8s is a trip to Aberavon Greenstars.

U9. Sunday 24th November saw Bridgend Athletic U9’s again split their sizeable squad in order for the players to get maximum playing time.
 The Greens hosted Baglan at Newbridge Fields while the Yellows took a short trip to take on Llanharan away.
The Ath’ U9’s, as always, represented the club with pride, playing their now trademark brand of high quality, fast flowing rugby. Their defensive and offensive performances were equally as impressive, forcing regular turnovers and running in tries from all areas of the field.
Both Ath’ teams ran out worthy victors on the day:- The Greens won 3 from 3, outscoring Baglan by 6 tries to 2, 4 tries to 2 and 7 tries to 3. The Yellows won 2 from 2, outscoring Llanharan by 8 tries to 1 and 7 tries to 5.

U10. Both Bridgend Athletic U10s teams the green & golds were home on Sunday 24th Nov, a round robin with Bryncethin and Baglan at Newbridge Fields. With the Ath missing a couple of key players it was a chance for others to step up and be counted and they didn’t disappoint. The Ath outscored Bryncethin 4 tries to 3 and outscored Baglan 6 tries to 1. Try scorers were Rudi Quinn 2, Osian Kenny 2, Mason Brown, Rory Whyte, Zack Hughes, Dylan Jones, Efan Duncan & Osian Lord. Final Scores: Bridgend Athletic 30 v 5 Baglan. Bridgend Athletic 20 v 15 Bryncethin

U11. The U 11s welcomed Baglan to Newbridge Fields on Sunday for their first encounter this season, which was very much a game of two halves. A very well drilled and powerful Baglan side were clinical at the breakdown area and scored 3 well worked tries in the first half. After some encouragement and guidance from the coaches at half time, the Ath came out fighting. 

Second half tries from Oliver Williams (2), Jackson and Theo touching down at the death meant a final score of Ath 4 Baglan 3. The whole squad contributed to the win, with the boys showing a real team effort and commitment to the cause. They are all ambassadors to the club and the sport of rugby.

 With the council threatening to impose a massive hike in the cost to clubs for using the fields and changing rooms, councillors are welcome with their wellies and coats come down to Newbridge Fields on a Sunday morning. Witness the 200+ children getting fit and learning valuable life lessons to make them good human beings and citizens of the future. After all, these are the people who will be contributing to your tax fund soon.
U12. The under 12’s travelled to Pandy park to play Tondu in the Ospreys cup. Having beaten them convincingly last week at home the boys knew that if they played their game they were more than capable of making it through. The game started well and the Ath applied pressure on Tondu from the off. Unfortunately, the boys had to work for both territory and possession as they were constantly penalised at every breakdown. Tondu had a period attacking the Ath line and boys were determined to keep them out eventually coming away with the ball. They stuck at it and scored the first try of the game to settle the nerves. Half time 7-0.

The second half started off as a scrappy affair with again several decisions going against the Ath. Unfortunately for Tondu the boys we’re not prepared to give up and pressured Tondu at every breakdown. Finally, some possession resulted in 2 more tries and the game was put to bed. Another amazing performance from this group.

U13. Due to a waterlogged pitch the under 13s hosted Valley Ravens on the 4g pitch at Coity for what was to be a physical forward dominated encounter.

The Ravens took an early lead with their second-row capitalising on some weak tackling to score under the posts in the third minute. They scored a second unconverted try after 12 minutes through their number 8 to take a 10-0 lead.

The Ath forwards managed to find their rhythm and started to dominate the opposition at the breakdown with their reward coming in the form of a try from Gabriel Gadek, touching down under the posts following a barnstorming run. Try converted by Jack Thomas.

The Ravens hit back on 20 minutes with a third unconverted try before The Ath’s Joe Bruckel intercepted a wayward pass on the opposition 22 to score under the posts. Jack Thomas converted the try to leave the score at 14-15 at half time.

The second half continued in the same manner as the first with both sets of forwards fighting for every metre gained. The Ath took the lead on 28 minutes when Gabriel Gadek grabbed his second try of the match following a strong scrummage from the Ath’s powerful pack. Jack Thomas added the extras to take the home team into a 21-15 lead.

A stop start, error strewn final quarter saw both sides infringing repeatedly with frustrations boiling over. The Ath down to fourteen men after a yellow card for a reckless tackle eventually saw their defence breached on 43 minutes with the Ravens’ number 8 scoring his second try of the game. The try was converted, and the game fizzled out to a 21-22 defeat for the Ath.
U14. The U14’s looked to bounce back after last week’s defeat to Tondu by travelling down the M4 to Cardiff to play St Peters.  The Ath started off the game on the front foot showing good handling skills in heavy conditions under foot, but some fantastic St Peters’ defence meant it took over 10 minutes for the Ath to cross for their first try.
 After good defensive pressure the U14’s earned a scrum and ran a set play with Rhydian G taking a good line to crash the ball up near the posts. The forwards were rewarded after a couple of quick pick and goes, with Iwan S picking up and dotting down over the line.  Straight from the kickoff the Ath played with the ball in hand, putting Rhys H down the line out wide. After another St Peters try saving tackle the ball was quickly recycled and with quick hands the ball was on the other side of the pitch, where a lovely offload by Rhydian G put Jake B in at the corner.  It wasn’t long for the U14’s to get their 3rd try, this time coming off a kick return by Leo Q and more good interplay between forwards and backs. This time it was Rhys H turning provider, with an out the back pass to Jake B, who still had quite a lot to do to crash over in the corner.  That score meant the half time lead was 15-0 to the Ath.
 The second half started in the same vein with the Ath forwards winning the ball against the head at the scrum and some slick handling putting  Rhydian G clear into a gaping hole in the defence, where he drew the last man and put Rhys H away down the outside and round near the posts.
 Credit to St Peters whose character then kept them in the game and fought back with 3 tries – one converted. Final score St Peters 17 - 20 Ath U14’s.


U15.The under 15s welcomed Ynysybwl to Newbridge Fields for the 1st game between the 2 sides. There has been a big improvement in performance over the last few weeks so hopes for a win were high. The boys didn't disappoint and ran in some well worked tries in a 42-22 win. A first try of the season for Jacob Watkins on the wing finishing a fine team try, the team was led superbly by New Captain Jac Hunter.


U16. Having already qualified for the knock-out stages today the Ath 16's travelled to Abercrave for an Ospreys Cup pool game.
 With a very heavy cut up pitch the Ath started at a fantastic tempo and physical in everything they done. It wasn't long before they raced into the lead with tries from Charlie Ashpole, Tom Clarke and Lochie Baron with Evan Beach converting 1. Halftime score Abercrave 3-17 Bridgend Athletic.
 Making the halftime changes the Ath struggled to get any momentum in their game with silly penalties costing them. Also, some sloppy defending and a costly yellow card given by the referee the Ath leaked 14 unanswered points. With the Ath back to 15 players the lead swapped back and fore with a penalty kick by Evan Beach and a try for Ethan Scourfield. Unfortunately, time had run out and Abercrave run out winners 27 - 25.










There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments