25 November 2019 / Club News

Pencoed Youth 7 Bridgend Athletic Youth 17 District Cup – Round 1 – Sat 23rd Nov 2019

Bridgend Athletic Youth travelled to local neighbours Pencoed for an eagerly awaited clash in the District Cup for what was expected to be a very physical game against a very strong team who are top of Division 2, whilst the Ath are currently second in Division 3 with two games in hand of the leaders. It was the underdogs Bridgend Athletic who will go into the 2nd round draw after a deserved and convincing 17-7 victory.


The first 10 minutes belonged to Pencoed who piled on the pressure aided by numerous penalties being awarded against the Ath, However, great defence by the Ath kept the games scoreless.


The Ath them started to turn the game around and, despite a very wet and sticky pitch, started to attack from all parts of the field. Great handling by backs and forwards saw them attack from deep in their own 22 and take play into the Pencoed 22, where the Ath were awarded a lineout. Great “off the top” ball from outstanding second row Morgan Bennett saw scrum half Josh Tidy feed outside half Ethan White who popped the ball to No 8 Michael Gillette. He charged through the Pencoed midfield breaking numerous tackles. When he was half held fed flanker Sion Vigus who charged over the line near the posts for a great try, converted by Ethan White.


This spurred the Ath on and they continued to attack from deep positions. Play went into the Pencoed 22 and the Ath won numerous rucks near the try line. Constant pressure saw hard working second row Morgan Thomas (who the previous week made a 1ST XV senior debut) drive over the line through 3 defenders for a well-deserved try, the conversion narrowly missed by White.


By this time the Ath were dominating possession and territory and it was then the backs turn to score. A great inside ball from White saw him feed winger Danny Osarigie just outside the 22. He stepped past the first defender and then powered his way over the line for an outstanding score wide out, the conversion hitting the bar and bouncing backwards, giving the Ath a 17-0 half time lead.


The second half started much the same as the first with the Ath conceding 5 penalties in quick succession resulting In Pencoed driving over the Ath line for a try wide out, which was superbly converted by their outside half.


The rest of the game was a very tight affair with the Ath defence, led from the front by Captain Jack Obbard and outstanding flanker Ryan Neagle, quite oustanding.


The Ath had numerous chances to increase their lead however spurned 2 or 3 try scoring opportunities; the Pencoed try line remaining intact.


The Ath Coaches are extremely proud of every single player who took the field and produced a fantastic display and really should have won more comfortably. This was a great marker for the Coaches to assess how good this young Ath team is and the boys can feel justifiably very proud of their efforts.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments