Bridgend Athletic RFC | Under 13s 28 - 19 Tonyrefail RFC | Under 13s
Rhys Hockings
Try 1
Daniel Honeyfield
Try 2
Charlie Rees
Conversion 4
Joel Rogers
Try 1

Match Report
06 January 2019 / Team News

First Game in 7 Weeks, Blowing the cobwebs away

The U13’s started back after Christmas with a home game against Tonyrefail, with our first game ever played on the Coity 4G pitch.

In dry conditions the team were a bit lethargic from the kick off and they let Tonyrefail get close to the try line with some hard carrying and a soft penalty. However, great line-out defence from Iwan Sadd ripping the ball, showing strength and a burst of speed with a strong carry to touching distance of the half way line. It was finished with a lovely offload setting the backs free, who showed good hands putting Rhys Hockings away out wide with still a lot to do, but a trademark weaving run got Rhys under the post. Try converted by Charlie Rees 7-0.
Tonyrefail soon got back into the match with some carries through their big packs of forwards and it wasn’t a surprise when they crossed from a driving line-out with the resultant conversion missed. 7-5.

From the kick off there was a great turnover by Rhydian Greenhall in the middle of the pitch and with a strong charge and good hands out wide, the ball was soon in the hands of Rhys Hockings, this time putting Dan Honeyfield in at the corner. Try converted by Charlie Rees 14-5.  It then turned into a tight game with lots of turnovers from each side and no real pattern, maybe the 7 weeks off without a game was affecting the Ath.  After a few penalty infringements by Tonyrefail Charlie Rees kicked into the corner and the forwards ran a training ground move with Rhydian Greenhall coming round the corner, before Dan Honeyfield crashed over from close to the line to bag his second of the match.Again conversion kicked by Charlie Rees and the Ath were leading 21-5 at half time.

It was a back and forth start to the 2nd half with the Ath clearly on top but not showing the precision or poise we know they can. It was a Tonyrefail kick out of defence that led to the next score with a clean catch by Joel Rodgers close to the touch line, who then showed good feet and pace to run into the corner before running round under the posts to make the conversion easier. Fourth conversion kicked by Charles Rees with the score now  28-5.

This was the time the Ath really started to go off the boil and Tonyrefail resorted to carrying most of their ball through the forwards and after a quick tap and go by the scrum half close to the line Tonyrefail scored their second try of the game. This try being converted meant with plenty of time left the score was 28-12.  The Ath just couldn’t get their game going with quick ball being disrupted by the numerous turnovers and penalties given against both sides. With limited time remaining the Ath really did take their foot off the pedal with some silly mistakes on the floor, which allowed another quick tap and go penalty by the opposition scrum half and it allowed Tonyrefail to crash over the line with one of their forwards.  There was no time after the successful conversion for the kick off, so the Ath ran out 28-19 against an improving Tonyrefail side, the team know they will have to play much better next week as we welcome Kenfig Hill to the Coity pitch.

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos